Andalus Institute for Tolerance and Anti-Violence Studies is committed to become a pioneer organization in Egypt in the field of tolerance and anti-violence studies. Its mission is to spread the culture of tolerance through educating the younger generation; employing the media to promote respect for human rights and the value of tolerance; and strengthening the rule of law by ensuring that national legislation and governmental behavior is non-discriminative or violent.
Fields of Work
- Women’s rights
- Human Rights Education
- Economic and Social Rights
- Freedom of Association
- Freedom of Speech
- Media Monitoring: observing channels & newspapers based on scientific methods to measure how neutral & committed to human rights, tolerance, democracy & professional values they are.
- Community Media Development: broadcasting human rights sensitive news on the community internet radio “Horytna” which is considered as one the first internet radio created in Egypt and which is today followed by more than 800 listeners daily. Trainings & seminars about new media methods & main issues.
- Election and Democracy Campaigning and Lobbying: monitoring elections and state institutions in Egypt, organizing national campaigns to involve youth in the democratization process, supporting national coalition in contesting governmental decisions that go against human rights and tolerance values and pushing for reforms.
- Legal Aid: reports writing, fact-findings mission and court cases support by a network of legal experts throughout the country committed to defend tolerance (especially issues of religious freedom, sectarian violence and blasphemy censorship) and human rights.
- Human Rights Education: trainings, workshops & intercultural events for youth to raise their awareness with human rights, democracy and tolerance issues.