21/09/2022 – 05/10/2022
- In the beginning of October 2022, several boats left from Tunisia to reach Italy. One boat with 41 people was intercepted and brought back to Sousse, and survivors reported that 3 people had died.
- On 23 September 2022, a shipwreck took place off the coast of Sfax. Seven people were rescued but 20 are missing.
19/07/2022 – 21/09/2022
- A shipwreck off the coasts of Tunisia caused the death of at least 11 people, while 12 are still missing. The boat sank off Chebba and 14 people were rescued by the Tunisian authorities.
- In the beginning of September, EuroMed Rights participated in the CommemorAction that took place in Zarzis and brought together the families of missing migrants. 10 years ago, in September 2012, a boat with 130 people from Sfax sank near Italy. 56 people were rescued, while the others went missing and their families are still searching for them. The CommemorAction aims at remembering all the victims of the border regime and unite the families in the common struggle to fight against deadly borders and for a dignified treatment of the dead. Here is the statement published by the Association of the Mothers of Disappeared Migrants.
- On 17 July 2022, Alarm Phone reported about 6 people who were clinging to a buoy near Kerkenah island, in front of Sfax. The Tunisian Coast Guard could not find them, and they haven’t been reachable on the phone since. They are still missing at the time of writing.
07/06/2022 – 27/06/2022
- During the last week, Tunisian authorities recovered the bodies of at least 16 people. The last 4 bodies were recovered on 20 June 2022, after a boat sank off the coasts of Sfax. It is not clear if the bodies are from the same boat that was reported missing by Alarm Phone on the same day. The other 12 bodies were found in the waters south of Sfax, in a decomposed state, and Tunisian authorities presumed the people had departed from Libya. They fear more bodies will come ashore in the next days.
- On 6 June 2022, Alarm Phone reported about a distress case with 29 people in the waters between Zarzis and Djerba. The boat caught fire. Authorities could not find the boat and the people are still missing at the time of writing.
- In the beginning of June, Alarm Phone reported about 47 people in distress off the coasts of Zarzis. The people have been likely intercepted and brought back to Tunisia.
- In the end of May, 75 people went missing off the coast of Tunisia after a shipwreck. The IOM communicated that the boat had departed from Zuwara, Libya, and sank off the coasts of Sfax, Tunisia. 24 people were rescued, and one body was recovered.
For the period from June 2021 to May 2022, click here.