Deadline : 6 Jan 2019
Position: Mashreq advocacy assistant
Duration: Limited duration contract – until 31 December 2020
Starting: January 2019
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Remuneration: According to EuroMed Rights’ salary scale, based on years of experience + reimbursement of public transport + lunch vouchers
Pre-requisite: Valid EU working permit – candidates without a working permit will not be considered
Application deadline: 6 January 2019, midnight CET
EuroMed Rights is looking to recruit an enthusiastic assistant for its Mashreq activities, i.e. assistance for the organisation of advocacy activities, e.g. meetings, missions; monitoring developments relating to human rights in the region; supporting at-risk human rights defenders who need to be temporarily relocated abroad.
Description of tasks
The assistant will work within the Advocacy department, managed by the Advocacy Director. S/he will support, and work under the supervision of, and according to priorities set by the Mashreq Advocacy Coordinator, including the following tasks:
- Participate in various meetings, take notes and prepare meeting reports and minutes; when needed, organise practically and logistically conference calls, field trips, meetings and training activities;
- Responsible for supporting temporary relocation of human rights defenders (HRDs) at risk: coordination with other NGOS; support for visa applications; contact with all relevant stakeholders, including HRDs, universities, donors, ministries of foreign affairs and ministries of interior, and other protection initiatives;
- Responsible for a newsletter on the situation of human rights defenders in cooperation with EuroMed Rights’ communication department;
- Assist in drafting narrative and financial reports, as well as internal evaluation reports.
Profile, Skills and background
- University degree in European Studies, Human Rights, Law, Political and Social Science – other degrees may also be considered;
- Keen interest and preferably proven work experience in the protection of human rights, NGOs of the EU/Middle East and especially the issue of relocation of human rights defenders;
- Fluency in English, very good knowledge of Arabic (oral and written);
- Computer literacy in Office suite, and interest in digital security;
- Self-motivated, well-organised, able to work strategically, independently and efficiently under pressure, in particular to meet the needs of at-risk human rights defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Keen attention to details.
If you believe you qualify for this position, please send the following documents by Sunday 6 January 2019 to Marie Picalausa, Senior Human Resource Officer, at email@example.com:
- Your CV;
- A document (max. 1 page, in English) in which you respond to the following:
- What do you think you can bring to EuroMed Rights, and why?
- Describe a recent experience in which you have played a key role.
- What practical steps would you follow if you had to assist a Syrian human rights defender at risk needing to relocate to Belgium urgently?
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EuroMed Rights aims to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the ground of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.